[Zope3-Users] Re: Unicode for Stupid Americans (like me)?

Raphael Ritz r.ritz at biologie.hu-berlin.de
Thu Mar 1 06:45:13 EST 2007

Jeff Shell schrieb:
[..]

> I feel like I know enough to squeak by, but that's no longer
> acceptable. Sometimes I quiver in terror, waiting for everything to
> fall down because of something so seemingly basic like strings/text.
> It may be a lot of technical debt, or it may be extremely easy to pay
> down. In any case, it's time to pay it down. :)

In addition to what has already been said (and maybe not really
what you are asking for), the number one problem people encounter
can be illustrated within a simple interactive Python session
like this one:

[ritz at pitts ~]$ python244
Python 2.4.4 (#1, Jan 29 2007, 13:00:46)
 >>> s1 = u"I'm unicode"
 >>> s2 = "I'm a byte string"
 >>> s1 + s2
u"I'm unicodeI'm a byte string"
 >>> s1 = u"I'm unicode äöü"
 >>> s1
u"I'm unicode \xe4\xf6\xfc"
 >>> s2 = "I'm a byte string äöü"
 >>> s2
"I'm a byte string \xc3\xa4\xc3\xb6\xc3\xbc"
 >>> s1 + s2
Traceback (most recent call last):
   File "<stdin>", line 1, in ?
UnicodeDecodeError: 'ascii' codec can't decode byte 0xc3 in position 18:
ordinal not in range(128)
 >>> s1 + s2.decode('utf-8')
u"I'm unicode \xe4\xf6\xfcI'm a byte string \xe4\xf6\xfc"

It's Python's implicit casting of byte strings to unicode strings
the moment it has to deal with both together with Python's default
encoding being 'ascii' (don't ask why - it's been a long discussion
at the time ...).

The moment you get the strings involved from some application
call or third-party code you often don't really know what you
will get, so unless you do extensive checks and explicit
decoding using the right codec you'll never be on the safe side.

Within Zope 3, however, this should be a non-issue as Zope 3
(including Zope 3-based applications) should only use unicode
strings.

Just my 2 cents.

Raphael