[Zope3-Users] Community opinion about search+filter

Christophe Combelles ccomb at free.fr
Wed Mar 14 09:35:27 EDT 2007

Adam Groszer a écrit :
> Hello,
>
> I'd like to ask your opinion, your experiences about searching and
> filtering in quite large object DBs.
> We need to add search and filter functions to our current app, where
> the user might be able to create quite _sophisticated_ filter criterias.
> (The app is a pure Z3 app, subject is document management)
>
> Currently we're looking at something based on catalog/indexes.
> As I checked the most comfortable solution would be based on
> hurry.query.
> Some questions arose:
> - Is it necessary/worth adding indexes on all attributes?

it depends on what you need to search. You may want to index everything as a
whole in each object, in which case you just need one index, based on an
adapter's "getsearchabletext" method that returns some kind of concatenation of
all attributes;
or you may want to be able to search in one particular attribute, so you have to
create an index for this particular attribute.
The most important is deciding how is built the indices.
But I think there is no problem changing the indexation method, since reindexing
is just a matter of clicking on a button, and waiting a some time.

> - How does the index perform on modification and retrieval?

not sure to understand the question.

Christophe