[Zope3-Users] Eggs and classic instance homes, again... (was Re: Eggs, workingenv.py, and 'classic' instance homes)

Stephan Richter srichter at cosmos.phy.tufts.edu
Thu Nov 8 10:28:33 EST 2007

On Wednesday 07 November 2007, Jeff Shell wrote:
> So now I see all that's going on with Zope 3 and I still don't
> understand a thing about how to move forward. We have about twelve
> active customers deployed on Zope 3, on top of one or two large
> frameworks that we've built on top if Z3. We still use the basic
> 'instance home' layout. We don't use eggs - we just check things out
> directly into the instance home. Even stuff from the Zope community,
> because it's easier to do that than to even get workingenv or any of
> these other things running.
>
> I'm still lost about what to do. Grok is of no use to us at the
> moment. Many of these apps have been up and running for longer than
> Grok's been alive. Is there any kind of migration documentation out
> there? Or have these new ways of doing things been in use for so long
> that most people have just rolled along with them? I just don't have
> the time. I scarcely have time to keep up with the lists (which is
> obvious since I haven't read a thing for nearly three months).

Hi Jeff,

last time I promised I would be more responsive to your mails, so here you
go. :-)

First of all, let me say that I have no system in production yet, which uses
eggs. I think only Lovely Systems and Zope Corp. do; and maybe some smaller
applications. So I would not worry about not being up-to-date. In fact, the
last stable release is still 3.3.1, which tells the story of the big Zope 3
tree.

That said, have you seen my Zope 3.4.0b2 announcement _[1]? It was the first
public announcement making people aware that eggs are really happening. I
purposefully did not say that Zope 3.4 will be the last tarball release,
because (a) I think we cannot abandon people that quickly and (b) it is now
really easy to create a new tarball release thanks to a couple of scripts I
wrote.

In the Zope 3.4.0b2 announcement I also sketched out two ways projects can be
built using eggs, buildout and recipes. That said, writing a comprehensive
migration document is still one of the tasks that need to be done. I was
really hoping that the community would step up in writing one. I think that
Darryl's response to your mail is a great start actually. It could easily be
used as a starting point.

.. [1] http://mail.zope.org/pipermail/zope3-users/2007-November/007106.html

Regards,
Stephan