[Zope3-Users] Re: Known-good-sets problem

Jim Fulton jim at zope.com
Sat Oct 6 13:59:48 EDT 2007

On Oct 6, 2007, at 5:28 AM, Martijn Faassen wrote:

> Benji York wrote:
>> Stephan Richter wrote:
>>> 2. How many packages should be controlled in this index? I think
>>> we should definitely add packages from z3c and the zc namespace.
>> What is the motivation to include non-controlled packages?  I
>> suppose it is to let people use those packages with (in this case)
>> Zope 3.4.  What if someone wants Zope 3.4 and Twisted version X
>> and Plone version Y (just making those up).  Perhaps we need a way
>> to refer to several KGS when constructing an application.  Or is
>> one KGS supposed to define a "universe" of packages known to work
>> together.  If so, I would think there would be no place for non-
>> controlled packages.
>
> A feature to combine lists of versions is definitely needed. I may
> be a developer of an application that uses both Grok and KSS, for
> instance. This can be solved by me maintaining my own list, but I'd
> prefer to rely on two lists that are already there.
>
> That's the application developer's case. The framework developer's
> case requires me to publish such combined lists. If I have my own
> framework on top of Grok and KSS, I'd like to publish a list that's
> a combination of those without having to copy them.

As I mentioned in my response to Benji, it's tricky to get the
semantics right.  IMO, you want a particular KGS to be
authoritative.  There isn't anything in setuptools to support this
semantic.  You can use the mirroring approach (maybe with some minor
tweaking) to combine KGSs on the server.

Jim

--
Jim Fulton
Zope Corporation