[Zope3-Users] Zope3 still not compatible with Python2.5

Jim Washington jwashin at vt.edu
Sat Sep 8 12:00:48 EDT 2007

For now, anyway.  There is work going on, but it is not ready yet.

Well, it was an interesting experiment, and I thought I would write it
up for the group.

Gentoo recently made 2.5 the system default python.  I have been a
couple of days trying to track down why things had broken.  Yes, I know
-- system default python is bad, but I compile it all (it's Gentoo!), so
the UCS2 vs UCS4 thing is not a problem, etc., etc.

Anyway, I turned out to be experimenting with several things all at once:

1.  gcc 4.2.0

2.  UCS4 default vs. UCS2 (has is always been this way in Gentoo?
Apparently, you can set this to UCS2 if you know what you are doing.  I
wonder how you would know that you know what you are doing?)

3.  using zopeproject instead of my own attempt at a buildout recipe
(highly recommended!  Thanks, Philipp!)

4.  Plus, what turned out to be the culprit, python2.5.1

5.  And, of course, I am using a 64-bit OS, which you cannot discount as
a possible source for things going wrong.

I was getting tracebacks that ended with

MemoryError

-or-

an error where UserDict does not have attribute "data".

So, if you see these errors, fret not. Zap your broken new Data.fs files
and go back to python-2.4 for your zope3 instances.

With hopes that this saves someone else some frustration,

-Jim Washington