[Zope3-Users] Re: zopeproject install failure

Philipp von Weitershausen philipp at weitershausen.de
Mon Sep 17 08:01:57 EDT 2007

Tim Cook wrote:
> Linux x86_64
>
> Python 2.5.1 (r251:54863, Sep 17 2007, 10:13:22)
> [GCC 4.1.2 20070626 (Red Hat 4.1.2-13)] on linux2
>
> There are numerous "warning: initialization from incompatible pointer
> type" when compiling the .c modules.

Yup. Mostly if not only from the ZODB.

> When I built Python 2.5.1 I had to use the CFLAG -fwrapv
> Is this the same issue?  If so, where can I add that flag so the zope .c
> files will be compiled correctly?

What does that flag do? I can compile my stuff with Python 2.5.1 just fine.

> What happens is that the process builds and the server will start but
> when you execute a request (http://localhost:8080) you end up getting a
> MemoryError
>
> -----------
> /buildout-eggs/tmpUBM6Io/zope.app.container-3.5.0a1-py2.5-linux-x86_64.egg/zope/app/container/browser/contents.py", line 120, in _normalListContentsInfo
> MemoryError

I've heard of another report where a MemoryError would occur with PYthon
2.5 on Linux x86 64bit. I don't have access to such a machine,
unfortunately. It would be great if somebody with some C debugging
skills could check this out. It might already be good to know whether it
only occurs with zope.app.container, or also with other module that have
C extensions.

Note, this isn't a bug of zopeproject :). It just shows that Python 2.4
is still the only blessed platform, for a good reason.