[Zope3-Users] Re: zopeproject 0.4: using without easy_installing, egg-info error

Philipp von Weitershausen philipp at weitershausen.de
Thu Sep 20 16:26:08 EDT 2007

Jeff Kowalczyk wrote:
> Philipp von Weitershausen wrote:
>>> Is there a pro/con list to including a bootstrap.py in zopeproject for the
>>> other way of using buildout?
>> I don't quite understand. zopeproject works completely without needing
>> bootstrap.py. After calling zopeproject, you end up with a completely
>> bootstrapped *and* installed buildout sandbox.
>
> This non-system python-2.4.4 has an empty site-packages, and is
> owned by root. I don't have setuptools or buildout installed in the
> non-system python.
>
> When working with a z3c.formdemo checkout for example, I can start:
>
>   # /opt/python24/python/bin/python bootstrap.py
>
> Without using sudo. That bootstrap process creates a local bin/buildout,
> uses setuptools and zc.buildout from ~/.buildout/eggs, and the non-system
> python:

Yes, I'm quite familiar with bootstrap.py. It's from a completely
different use case, though. With z3c.formdemo, you checkout an existing
buildout directory, bootstrap it and then execute the buildout.

With zopeproject, you actually have a tool that creates all that
buildout boilerplate for you, then automatically bootstraps the buildout
and executes it. zopeproject is a tool. For that to work, zopeproject
needs to be installed first. Before any of the buildout stuff happens.
So you're going to have to easy_install it somehow. If you'd rather not,
that's fine. But then you don't get to use that tool.

> I'm going to familiarize myself with virtualenv; I haven't yet only
> because the above method seemed both convenient and clear about its use of
> python environment and eggs.

I'm not sure what there is to familiarize with. I pretty much spelled it
out for you how to use virtualenv. From an earlier email (virtualenv.py
is from the virtualenv tarball):

  $ python virtualenv.py env
  $ cd env
  $ bin/easy_install zopeproject
  $ bin/zopeproject HelloWorld

This should be easy enough to try out in 2 minutes, probably less time
than it took you and me to write these emails.