[Zope3-Users] z3ext

David Pratt fairwinds at eastlink.ca
Fri Feb 15 10:18:32 EST 2008

Hi Nikolay.

Just wanted to say that I have been aware of your efforts with z3ext on
sourceforge for a while and wish to congratulate you on moving forward
with a comprehensive ZPL licensed CMS. It is an important development
for a number of reasons:

* Efforts such as zext and Hivurt exemplify how to glue components and
packages together to create substantive applications. These type of
tangible examples have been missing from the zope 3 landscape. In
addition to your application being extremely useful in its own right, it
will help developers understand how to assemble components and architect
an application.

* The packages in the zext namespace further increase the pool of
liberally licensed zope components. Over the past few years, there have
a steadily increasing number of solid packages, componentry and
repositories popping up. Zope corp, Lovely, the z3c community efforts to
name a few (but there are certainly many others I am aware of). This is
resulting in a plethora of high quality packages and serves as as a
stimulant to encourage reuse for virtually any purpose.

The fact that the project and packages are all under the ZPL is not to
be underestimated. It is a key opportunity for developers to engage in
sharing and consumption of reusable code without licensing conflict. I
strongly believe that liberal licensing scenario have been a critical
ingredient to the success of Django, TurboGears, Twisted and other major
frameworks.

* A low barrier to a functioning CMS reduces the cost and risk of
experimentation, implementation and deployment of a full zope solution.
I believe that when a clean break is made from the older api's of zope2,
the scenario for development is more understandable. As far as I can
see, the future of folks utilizing a combination of z2 and z3
technologies will only grow out the z3 components while factoring out
the old. For folks coming in for the first time, zext will help show
them the way and give them an excellent CMS that they can build upon.

* Projects like zext, Hivurt, and Lovely's deployments demonstrate the
power of zope3. Zope3 is not simply a library of components but a
framework of possibility. The new 'zope' is a rich superset of
functionality that provides the opportunity for a python programmer to
integrate packages from all parts of the python world. It shows how
competent systems can be created that are elegant, agile and capable of
competing with anything out there (most of it from existing code bases).
On top of it, you have scalability and the reliability of a mature code
base.

* zext can show developers a different zope endpoint than Grok. Grok is
an easier way to create zope3 applications and an important door to the
world of zope. That said, I believe it is important to demonstrate
conventional package patterns as well. While I favor explicit
configuration for my own work, Grok removes much of the complication of
assembling useful components. Grok continues to push on barriers to
harness the potential of zope. More importantly though, when all this
goodness is zope in general, it is good for the community as a whole.

Overall, the comments I have read about giving the project different
name or different skin ought to be considered as you move forward. On
the other hand, they take nothing away from what I see as a very strong
effort of your behalf. I look forward to seeing a release in the future.
Personally, I hope you receive more well deserved support.

Further, I encourage folks that may be using legacy zope to take a
strong look at the zext project and the many packages that have been
released under the ZPL as a result. zext, Grok and the many other
efforts underway exemplify the new face of 'zope'. Many thanks Nikolay
for this effort.

Regards,
David