[Zope3-Users] Copy / Move ZODB Content From "Dev" Zope3 Instance to "Production" Zope3 Instance?

Jeremy Roberts jerbear at incrediblepear.com
Sat Jan 19 11:30:53 EST 2008

Linux 686
python 2.4.4
Zope-3.3.1

Hi all,

I'm curious if there is a handy way to copy / move content objects
between Zope3 instances? (where the interface definitions for those
object types agree across instances of course!)

Let's say I have one Zope3 instance used for development, and another
for production for any particular project. Each use local ZODB Data.fs
files for persistence.

Enhancements to application functionality are tinkered with in the dev
instance, and when they are ready, they are moved to the production
instance. File system components are ported between instances with
source control (darcs! love it!) and any application objects that need
to be added to the target instance's ZODB are handled via generations
evolution scripts. Couldn't be much easier.

The piece that is missing for me is the ability to move content objects
between the instances.

You see - during my testing process of the new functionality on the dev
instance, I invariably wind up creating new  content objects to test and
verify the new application functionality. Once I am satisfied of the
application's behavior, and I'm ready to port the changes to the
production instance - I find that I have a set of new content objects
that now need to ALSO exist in the production instance's ZODB.

Currently I'm faced with creating those objects again in the production
instance, and I'd really like to find away to avoid this duplication of
effort. Especially because if I COULD copy / move content objects
between instances, it would allow me to let additional parties test and
create content objects on the dev instance and then trivially launch
them to production.

This is my first cut at a sane development / maintenance strategy with
Zope3 instances so any advice from a more seasoned camper is greatly
appreciated!

Thanks,
-Jer