[Zope3-Users] Zope on WSGI for Deployment - best to still use proxy behind apache? Good/bad servers?

Stephan Richter srichter at cosmos.phy.tufts.edu
Sun Jan 27 11:31:59 EST 2008

On Wednesday 23 January 2008, Jeff Shell wrote:
> Is there any preferred server to use or not use? why?

Originally we wanted to drop support for zope.server over twisted, but it
turned out that zope.server was much more stable.

> And ... mod_wsgi. I don't know much about it, but is it better to run
> through that than to go through mod_proxy?

We played with it a little bit and got it working without any hassle. But we
did not test performance.

> We had one new customer totally surprise us with their traffic/load
> (mostly solved, for now, due to some aggressive caching) and I'm
> interested in trying to find new setups.

I think the server itself is not really creating the bottleneck. What you
really want to do, is keep your transaction times in Zope very small, like in
the 100ms range, because a Zope thread is blocked for that long. If you have
queries or tasks that take a long time (>1sec), then you should  run that in
a thread/process that does not block the server. A good package to start with
would be lovely.remotetask -- I hope that we will soon release an extension
that allows you to scale it better.

Regards,
Stephan
--