[Zope3-Users] Building a viewlet-based menu

Stephan Richter srichter at cosmos.phy.tufts.edu
Sun Jan 27 12:05:56 EST 2008

On Friday 04 January 2008, Hermann Himmelbauer wrote:
> My problem is that the update() function which sets the link does not
> always work. The link should always include the URL of the local site
> object, which is does not when a 404 page is displayed, therefore all menu
> entries have invalid links.
>
> Does anyone know why, or does someone have a better suggestion to my
> problem?

Right, this is a common problem for *all* context driven pieces of
information. It happens, because the error does not have a parent in that
particular case. When an exception is raised and not caught, it penetrates
back all the way to the publisher. The publisher then takes the exception and
looks up a view. When possible, the exception is wrapped in a location proxy
with the parent being the last object in the publisher, which is either the
application root or the object that got traversed. (see
zope.publisher.publish.publish and zope.app.publication.zopepublication, line
303)

Now, I know that Roger has struggled with this problem recently too. I am not
sure whether he has a solution. If he doesn't, we should think of one. Now,
404 might be special and maybe the 404 error page should not display menus
and other stuff.

Regards,
Stephan
--