[Zope3-Users] Interface confusion (still)

Tim Cook timothywayne.cook at gmail.com
Tue Jul 15 19:36:17 EDT 2008

On Tue, 2008-07-15 at 19:27 -0400, Fred Drake wrote:
> On Tue, Jul 15, 2008 at 6:56 PM, Benji York <benji at zope.com> wrote:
> > When one says that a class *provides* an interface they're saying that
> > instances of that class *implements* the interface.
>
> Sorry, you got that backwards.  Instances provide the interfaces their
> class implements.

Thanks.

And in my Maildir example it implements what is defined in IMaildir but
how does it 'provide' what is in IMaildirFactory?  Specifically the
__call__ method.

So my continuing thick-headed questions is:  What does classProvides
really mean from a practical standpoint?  Some kind of use case?

--Tim

Join the OSHIP project.  It is the standards based, open source
healthcare application platform in Python.
Home page: https://launchpad.net/oship/
Wiki: http://www.openehr.org/wiki/display/dev/Python+developer%27s+page