AW: [Zope3-Users] Is ZAM suitable for a new application?

Roger Ineichen dev at projekt01.ch
Tue Jun 3 07:21:24 EDT 2008

Hi Junyong

> Betreff: Re: [Zope3-Users] Is ZAM suitable for a new application?
>
> On Mon, Jun 2, 2008 at 7:56 AM, Junyong Pan <panjy at zopen.cn> wrote:
> > I found zam has very nice interface. And it's pluggable
> structure is
> > quite flexible.
> >
> > I wan't to use it for my new application. But I don't know
> if zam is
> > created for this purpose.
> >
> > Can anyone talk more about ZAM? When ZAM is mature, what will it
> > influence the zope world? For example, will most prodcuts
> be released
> > as installable zamplugins, Just like what Plone products like?
> >
> > I found so few information about zam. It really need more
> documentations.
> >
> > Thanks.
>
> Roger Ineichen can give you the best response to this
> question.  ZAM stands for Zope Application Management.  I
> wouldn't use it as the basis for your application, however I
> have been using it quite successfully as the "administrative"
> side of a web application.  This includes things like
> browsing the object hierarchy, viewing error logs, managing
> the server process, and some other basic tasks that were
> provided by the Rotterdam skin.  ZAM provides the
> functionality that just about every website needs, but which
> you rarely want to expose to end users.  As I see it, ZAM is
> just a zope component which you can use in your web
> application for common administrative tasks - it is not a
> platform in the same way Zope 2 is.  I hope that was somewhat helpful.

Yes, Paul is right. ZAM is a small framework which allows you to
develop the management part for your application. The motiviation
for ZAM was that we do not use the Rotterdam skin because it has to
many patterns in it which we don't like.

We normaly develop custom applications with a management part and a
custom skin. You can use ZAM for the custom skin too if this fits.
But we do not do that because ZAM offers to many things which we
don't need in the public part of our apps.

ZAM is more or less ready to use. If you see some issues, let me
know and I will fix it. At least we use ZAM in all of our applications
and I will do future development with ZAM.

btw, ZAM will not be a Plone replacement. But the registry based
plugin concept in ZAM is the way to go if you like to implement
a plugin management. I hope other will adapt this plugin management
which was developed by Stephan Richter after Jim changed some
internals in the component registry.

Regards
Roger Ineichen