[Zope3-Users] Issue with xmlrpc call to zope3 xmlrpc view hanging, until original call interupted.

Marius Gedminas marius at gedmin.as
Thu Oct 16 13:50:28 EDT 2008

On Thu, Oct 16, 2008 at 04:39:13PM +0800, Tim Hoffman wrote:
> I wonder if anyone can shed some light  on a problem I am having with
> xmlrpc calls to a zope3 server.
>
> I am running zope3 from buildout on python2.5 on unbuntu.
>
> I have a view defined for xmlrpc (zope.app.publisher 3.5.0)  the same
> view is also defined for jsonrpc using z3c.jsonrpc
>
> I am testing with xmlrpclib and the z3c.jsonrpc proxy
>
> Everything works fine when testing the jsonrpc call. However when
> performing the xmlrpc call
> the call hangs, until I either kill the server, or the ctl ^c the test.
>
> I know the zcml registration for the view is correct as I end up in
> the method of the view on the server,because
> I can put
>
> import pdb
> pdb.set_trace()
>
> in the method in question, and when I kill the client socket the
> server thread advances to the set_trace call
>
> It seems as if the publisher for xmlrpc is not reading everything from
> the socket.

This sounds strangely familiar.  Is the request in plain-text, or is it
going over SSL?

> I have been using xmlrpclib for years against zope2 and never
> experienced sort of problem, and my current python 2.4 and 2.5
> xmlrpclib in ubuntu
> works fine against existing zope2 servers.

xmlrpclib works fine for me against zope 3 using zserver (or maybe
zope.app.twisted) on python 2.4, no SSL.

> I am using paste.httpserver .

If I'm not mistaken, paste.httpserver will sometimes hang forever if you
send a request with a body and no Content-Type field.  Can you check
whether xmlrpclib sends it?

> Any ideas, things I could try to diagnose the problem?

Change other variables (no SSL if you have it; python 2.4 versus 2.5;
zserver instead of paster), try to see where the hang occurs on the
server side.

Marius Gedminas
--
Some of the more environmentally aware dinosaurs were worried about the
consequences of an accident with the new Iridium enriched fusion reactor.