[Zope3-Users] How do I learn how to use Zope?

Shailesh Kumar shaileshk at gmail.com
Tue Jun 16 03:37:26 EDT 2009

Hello,

I am trying to summarize some of what happened over last few years from my
perspective. I am just a zope 3 user and not involved with core development.
So my knowledge is limited. Zope 3.3 was good. It was a big monolithic
package containing most of what was necessary to develop component based web
applications. It was rock solid and Phillipp wrote a great book describing
the framework in depth.  Then came egg based development. All the individual
packages inside the zope system were separated into individual eggs and
developers started maintaining them separately. The idea was that one should
not need to load all the packages one doesn't need. Its a component based
architecture, hence one should pick and choose the components which one
needs in his application. All the eggs had separate versioning. Along came
KGS (Known Good Set). KGS is an index of versions of individual zope
packages which are known to work together very well. Build-out introduced
another layer. When you prepare your application buildout you just specify
the packages you need for your application and the versions of those
packages. Zope 3 was already hard to get started (it required a lot of
learning in terms of component architecture and a new configuration language
called ZCML). So some thought that there should be a much easier way to get
started with the system. That was GROK. GROK is built on top of Zope 3 and
provides a much easier getting started path for people who want to
experience the advantages of Zope 3 system. GROK doesn't require you to use
ZCML. Alll configuration can be done in Python code itself. GROK doesn't
require you to learn component architecture in depth before getting started.
At this point of time, GROK is the best way to get started with the latest
and greatest of Zope 3. Though I think its still has some glitches on the
Windows OS.

With regards,
- Shailesh