[zpkg] Some comments

Stephan Richter srichter at cosmos.phy.tufts.edu
Thu Aug 25 17:43:54 EDT 2005

Hi,

I started today converting SchoolTool to work with zpkgtools. I can already
create a release for schooltool.relationship, which is a nice relationship
library for Zope 3.

I noticed a couple of hickups:

1. I create the package as follows:

../../../zpkgtools/bin/zpkg -x zope.app -C STRelationship.cfg STRelationship

After you unpack the tar ball, I install a test version of the package as
follows:

python setup.py install --prefix here

The package will be placed in:

 here/lib/python2.4/site-packages/schooltool

This is very unfortunate, since I often want to install this package in a Zope
3 installation or instance, which uses a different naming convention, namely
just "lib/python". How can I do this?

2. As you see above, I have to specify "-x zope.app" in the command line,
since clearly schooltool.relationship depends on zope.app, but I do not want
to include it in the distribution. This command line option gets very old
very quickly and I tend to forget it in which case I get a warning. It would
be good to have another section in STRelationship.cfg that excludes this
package:

<exclude>
  zope.app
</exclude>