[zpkg] Some more comments

Fred Drake fred at zope.com
Thu Sep 1 00:45:13 EDT 2005

On Wednesday 31 August 2005 06:11, Stephan Richter wrote:
 > 1. In PACKAGE.cfg, there is a <load> section. Zope 3 traditionally loads
 > additional files for the distribution via SVN there. However, I believe
 > this is overkill. I would rather be able to specify a relative directory
 > here, since all the files/dirs I am loading are already in my checkout. I
 > tried this and it did not let me do this. Fred, any ideas?

The current structure isn't really good; it's designed around making a release
from a tag in the revision control repository.

One thing that zpkg does not understand is an existing checkout.  It can look
at a tree, but doesn't know where the top is; the current approach taken in
the ZODB and Zope 3 trunks is really a recent change in usage.  We need a
better way to deal with some of this still.

I think part of the problem can be fixed simply by describing the pieces
extracted from the top of the checkout as separate components.  This makes a
fair bit of sense for the instance skeleton, which is simply data, but less
so for things we want to appear at the top of the distribution (like the doc/
directory).

 > 2. The Zope 3 build mechanism (make) does not convert the *.conf.in in
 > zopeskel/etc to functioning *.conf files. This, in itself, is not that
 > bad, but inconvenient, because I need to keep 2 versions of the *.conf
 > files around. One that will work with the checkout and another that will
 > be used for the release. I wish the checkout build process would convert
 > the *.conf.in files in zopeskel to real *.conf files, so I only need one
 > version of the file.

I think this has more to do with our attempt to make a checkout be an
(implicit) instance.  It probably makes more sense to make the
instance-specific aspects of the checkout more like an instance created by
running mkzopeinstance from an installation.  The current tree (outside of
src/) is substantially a historical accident; the tree grew organically, and
then we thought about what installations and instances should look like.

  -Fred

--
Fred L. Drake, Jr.  <fred at zope.com>
Zope Corporation