[ZPT] FORMs and processing

Tony McDonald tony.mcdonald@ncl.ac.uk
Thu, 28 Jun 2001 16:41:50 +0100

On 28/6/01 5:19 am, "jmr@computing.com" <jmr@computing.com> wrote:

> tony.mcdonald> What's the received wisdom on using FORMs and
> tony.mcdonald> PageTemplates? After a nightmare project where HTML
> tony.mcdonald> coders were mangling DTML code I've decided to look at
> tony.mcdonald> ZPT in a lot more detail...

[lots of very useful information snipped]

Jim,
Thanks a lot for this, it helps to get the point across to use scripts for
processing and PT for delivery.

I think this bit is the most telling;

> The PT calls the python script.  The script returns a dictionary which
> includes a "success" variable, perhaps a "results" variable (if there
> is data to get displayed afer successful posting, and either a simple
> error variable or an error dictionary (keyed by form field name).  All
> this stuff determines how the PT will render itself.

The fact that I can return dictionaries and work on them is great news...

I think it's time to get the team to look at PT a lot closer :)

Cheers again,
Tone.
--
Dr Tony McDonald,  Assistant Director, FMCC, http://www.fmcc.org.uk/
The Medical School, Newcastle University Tel: +44 191 243 6140