[Zpt] Built-ins and Shadows

Todd Coram todd@digicool.com
Fri, 2 Mar 2001 11:28:19 -0500

> evan (Mar 2, 2001 10:54 am; Comment #7)
> (todd's comment #6):
>>  I strongly feel that the built in names shouldn't be shadowable.
> We seem to be outnumbered on this one, although Jim agreed that we
> should generate lots of obnoxious warnings about shadowing of builtins.

The problem with obnoxious warnings is: when do you generate them and where?

Anyway, if shadowing isn't an error (and at the very least we say it is
something worth issuing warnings about), we should say that the resulting
behavior is "undefined"  (in terms of the TALES specification) or
"implementator defined". (I still think most of the TALES spec is useful
outside of Zope, so the spec should be clear on this issue).

-- todd