[Zpt] XHTML validation and <span>

Todd Coram todd@digicool.com
Fri, 9 Mar 2001 11:57:59 -0500

> On Fri, Mar 09, 2001 at 10:34:29AM -0600, Evan Simpson wrote:
> > From: "Todd Coram" <todd@digicool.com>
> > > Evan, should this be legal? Should string: take paths as well as
simple
> > > variable names? 'Here' is a variable, so ${here} sort of makes sense.
But,
> > > 'here/title' is a path....
> >
> > I understood that this was discussed during the ZPT meeting, and that
people
> > there foresaw the dark path of full expressions in strings down which
you
> > and Martijn have been led :-)
>
> Hence my 'uhoh'. :)
>
> > You can always define a local variable or two and use them in the string
> > expression.
>
> This is what I have been doing. I'd say, just limit it to tal:define-ed
> variables. Keep It Simple.

Ah. But there is simple and then there is *simple*.  Defining a bunch of
*temporary* variables to be consumed just by a single expression can get
frustrating. So, I would have to say something like:

  <title tal:define="corp here/company; t here/title" tal:insert="string:
instead of
  <title tal:insert="string: ${here/company}: ${here/title}" />

Pity. But, I digress.

A narrower question: Should we allow paths as well as simple variable names?
Our spec is unclear on this issue. I am not looking to add new
functionality, but explicate current intent.

-- todd