[ZPT] ZPT and TAL 1.0 Final Release

Evan Simpson evan@digicool.com
Fri, 30 Mar 2001 11:38:28 -0500

Given the paucity of bug reports, and the fact that I've been able to build
a web site and a ZClass-heavy application with ZPT, I'm almost ready to
declare ZPT 1.0 final.

Guido, do you think that TAL is ready for 1.0?  I have a wish item with
respect to the handling of structure insertion, but it could wait for a 1.1
release.

I'm concerned that structure insertion is *way* too heavy, given that it
will be fairly common.  It looks like you currently parse/compile inserted
structure into a whole new TAL subprogram, when we really just want to
insert it as unescaped text most of the time.  Can we avoid this step in
every case except tal:replace="structure ..." combined with tal:attributes,
and then only parse the opening tag?

To compensate for this change, you could make do_insertStructure sniff the
result of evaluateStructure to see if it is already a TAL program.  If it is
a program, execute it, otherwise stringify as usual.  That way, we could use
the pre-compiled TAL programs created by metal:define-macro as sub-programs,
by writing tal:replace="structure here/other/macros/sub1".

If nobody dissents by then, I will release ZPT 1.0 final around 4pm today.

Cheers,

Evan @ digicool