[ZPT] REQUEST argument

Evan Simpson evan@digicool.com
Sat, 12 May 2001 11:20:49 -0400

From: "Guido van Rossum" <guido@digicool.com>
> But if (as I hope) you changed '|' everywhere, you've implemented
> something different than the spec we agreed on, which means we should
> think about it some more.

The Python 'path()' function directly invokes the same PathExpr class as the
'path:' expression type, so they are guaranteed to behave the same way.
Fear not, I implemented it this way for testing/proof-of-concept reasons,
and I won't be flinging it into a release until it has been discussed and
approved (unlike path modifiers).

> Maybe we *should* differentiate.  Then I propose a|b for "stop at the
> first valid path" and a||b for "stop at the first valid path that
> yields a true value."

Yeah, I had the same idea.  The original semantics can now be gotten through
"python:path('a') or path('b')" or "path:(if) a | b" (since I haven't thrown
out the modifiers, and the implementation now allows them on each alternate
path).  As it turns out, I barely needed it for the management screens I
converted.  If experience shows that this is a fluke, and we get a consensus
on '||', it will be easy to add.

Cheers,

Evan @ digicool