[ZPT] An easier question ...

Lynn Walton waltonl@franklin.edu
Thu, 31 May 2001 13:48:22 -0500

Evan, sorry I accidentally sent my reply to you rather than the list a
minute ago. I'm sending this now to the list.

Evan Simpson wrote:

> There's been a lot of pressure for PT properties, and your example is a
> fine use-case.  It does make me think, though, that rather than the
> standard property sheet such as Folders and Documents have (or in
> addition to such as sheet), it might be valuable to have a global
> variable definition sheet, which would take a form like this (please
> excuse ASCII art):
>
> Variable    Expression
> ______    _____________
> |x_____|  |here/foo_______|
> ______    _____________
> |name__|  |string:Fred_____|
> ______    _____________
> |four___|  |python:2+2____|
>
> ...and implicitly execute it at the start of page rendering, as though
> the first line of the template were:

> python:2+2"></div>
>
> Cheers,
>
> Evan @ digicool

Well, I'd vote for it or something like it.  Thanks for your response and
for the example regarding having globals defined in the macro and used
below that macro's use.

Can I have your opinion on whether you think it would be "smart" on my part

to go ahead and build my new site for a roll out in a few months based on
ZPT?  In otherwords ... do you consider it production ready enough?
Although it's changing frequently ... should I be able to trust the changes

will either be backwardly compatible or at least not too much of a
nightmare to change?

Thanks,
Lynn