[ZPT] i18n

Tino Wildenhain tino@wildenhain.de
Tue, 16 Apr 2002 12:29:33 +0200

Hi,

--On Dienstag, 16. April 2002 11:23 +0200 Thomas Olsen <tol@tanghus.dk>
wrote:

> Hi
>
> What are the plans for internationalization in ZPT? I think I remember to
> have  seen a cvs commit log saying that the first attempts had been
> committed..?

I dont know the plans but I know the problems of the daily use
of internationalisation especially in a multi co-worker environment.

To solve this, I've created a subclass of ZPT, which inherits from
a template for a page (this is done via invisible <metal:block use-macro ..>
around the whole page). This template is usually outside the document
tree. It contains only a sample of the page including working
logic for tables and such. All parts containing changeable content,
for example paragraphs and tableheads, formelement names and titles,
are sourrounded by metal:define-slot=

These Basetemplates are the domain of the technicans+designers.

The users of the templates are only able to create a new page
derrived from basetemplate, fill out all changeable content, are
able to move active content around without disturbing the logic.

At the end there are well manageable pages in different languages,
well readable for the content authors since they show up exactly
like they work and they are not limited to translation of small
parts of sentences without knowing where they are used, like it is
with the gettext solution.
The next advantage is, all the pages can be catalogized as a whole.

The different language versions are handed out by the standard
language-negotiation.

As time permits, I should write a proposal to this...

Best regards
Tino Wildenhain