[ZPT] Web Design with ZPT

Joseph Griffin jgriffin@pclnet.net
Sat, 2 Mar 2002 17:00:37 -0600

Thanks again for the response Joel,
My background has been mostly with Microsoft. When I ran across Zope, I was
truly impressed with the idea of an object oriented website. Since it's
free, it's gets double bonus points from me. What I have learned in software
development is that the pros (that is, those persons whose sole interest is
making money) go 10 miles out of their way to streamline their efforts into
a boring repeatable pattern than lowers overall risk. Zope, in my opinon, is
ripe for a deployment tool in the form of a database/python/ZPT script
generator. This assumes that the Zope/ZServer/ZODB etc... has stable
interfaces. After all, Zope is database friendly, so once a datamodel is
defined, you could build the initial Zope website from the data model along
(something like Znolk, but on a much larger scale). Database scripts would
build the tables, python scripts could do the framework installation and ZPT
would present the data. The whole install could be automated to the point of
establishing a complete web layout is less than a week. This type of code
generation has been done by Promatix for Visual FoxPro (www.promatrix.com),
Microsoft Access,SQL Server,Oracle,Sybase, and DB2 using VBExpress
(www.vbexpress.com).

To make the whole thing platform compatiable, write it in Javascript using a
browser as GUI and XML as a database. Do you think other people would be
interested in doing something like this? Obviously there is a thousand
issues to resolve, but if you want to make Bill Gates the 2nd richest man in
America, web applications are probably the future in software development.
Joseph