[ZPT] Speed of ZPT in Jython vs Cpython.

Evan Simpson evan@zope.com
Mon, 04 Mar 2002 12:30:44 -0500

Alan Kennedy wrote:
> I did manage to get some of ZPT working in Jython with a
> couple of trivial changes. I realise now that a lot of code
> in the current ZPT implementation is necessary for
> integration with Zope. Understandable really :-)

Coolness!

> Are there any quick hits to speeding up ZPT in Jython?
> Suggestions?

You might be able to compile TAL code directly into Java bytecode, but
that's way beyond me.

> Also, it appears to me that DummyEngine is really not so
> dummy, in that it evaluates the full range of Python
> expressions. It's only when you get into path based
> expression syntaxes, security models, etc, that something
> more sophisticated is needed. Is that correct?

That's mostly because it was easy to do, and made for better tests, I
think.  But yes, the Engine can be very simple, depending on what you
expect out of it.

Cheers,

Evan @ Zope