[ZPT] Re: Name of total sequence length

Steve Alexander steve@cat-box.net
Sat, 16 Mar 2002 21:53:21 +0000

Dieter Maurer wrote:

>  > I'd prefer total_length to sequence_length, because "sequence" does not
>  > feature in the external API of ZTUtils, and it would be a shame to add
>  > it now ;-)  (nasty flashbacks to DTML...)
 >
> The first parameter of the constructor is called "sequence".

That may be, but a user of Page Templates may well not know Python, and
may well not read the code of the constructor.

I'm suggesting a name that is meaningful to someone thinking about
displaying batches of information. We have the length of the current
batch, and the total length.

For such a person, there is currently no use of the word "sequence". I
don't see why we should introduce one now.

> And we speak here about the length of this object...

I'm quite happy with "length" :)

>  > It is also shorter.
 >
> You are kidding, aren't you?

I can type "total" about twice as fast as I can type "sequence".

--
Steve Alexander