[ZPT] Why does this cause a page template to be invalid?(longish)

R. David Murray bitz@bitdance.com
Tue, 26 Mar 2002 08:13:22 -0500 (EST)

On Tue, 19 Mar 2002, Geir B=E6kholt wrote:
> - where it explicitly states that :
>
> <q> The P element represents a paragraph. It cannot contain
> block-level elements (including P itself). </q>
>
> thus , the parser is right , although is was not as obvious as i
> first thought..

Well, as far as I am concerned, this means that the browsers are
correct and the spec is wrong.

In terms of logical *markup*, I want my paragraphs (elements of
discourse, not formatting) to be able to contain various kinds of
block elements, including tables but most especially lists.  Anything
else is a perversion of what document *markup* is supposed to
accomplish (laying out the logical structure of the document).

Of course, that confusion between presentation markup and logical
markup is what I dislike about HTML in the first place...

Still, in this case I'd rather the parser break with the de-jure
standard and follow the de-facto standard, since the latter is much
more sensible and practical.  Microsoft aside, there are IMO
sometimes good reasons why you see block tags inside paragraphs in
document markup.

I realize I may be in the minority there.

--RDM