[ZPT] Optimised ZPT?

Chris Withers chrisw@nipltd.com
Fri, 29 Mar 2002 16:41:14 +0000

"Fred L. Drake, Jr." wrote:

> Chris Withers writes:
>  > I think ZPT can now be thought of as a success.
>
> I hope so!

:-)

>  > When are we gonna see a nice C-optimised version?
>
> Once that is done, we should do another pass at optimizing the Python
> version.  I think there's a lot of things we can still do there.

Good :-) For me, it's pretty irritating that the graceful maintainable zope
templating language sucks speed wise when compared with the nasty unmaintaible
mess that is the other zope templating language ;-)

> Only once that is done will a C version be a reasonable approach to
> consider if performance is still an issue.  (Yeah, I know: it always
> is.)  Note also that we expect to see a lot of fundamental
> optimization work going into Python 2.3 and 2.4.

good :-)

> That's generally a
> better approach to optimization since it will benefit all of Zope, not
> just Page Templates.

Indeed. Still, let me rephrase the question: How long until ZPT is faster to
execute than DTML?

cheers,

Chris