[ZPT] ZPT Speed Tutorial Wanted

Fred L. Drake, Jr. fdrake@acm.org
Mon, 23 Sep 2002 12:59:00 -0400

Andy Meier writes:
 > On a new install, a fairly basic page template
 > (/Examples/index_html) took an average of only 11 ms to render.
 > This time stayed constant until I installed the NuxWidgets product.
 > After that install, it took over 400ms to render the test page
 > template.

I have no idea what NuxWidgets is, but this is scary!

 > I did some optimization of the NuxWidgets code and was able to get
 > that time down from 400ms to 59ms.  My next task will be to change
 > the way NuxWidgets works so that it only uses processor time when
 > it is actually used in a page rather than any time any PageTemplate
 > is called.

Oh, this is definately *very* scary!  I'm glad you were able to get it
under (relative) control, and that I'm not misreading our comparisons
between ZPT and DTML.

I did manage to make some progress on ZPT performance last week (about
a 10% improvement in the I18N version of the code), but there's
definately more work to be done.  I'll be looking at integrating some
of Shane's work next, but I don't know if I'll have any more time for
ZPT this week.

  -Fred

--
Fred L. Drake, Jr.  <fdrake at acm.org>