[ZPT] zope3-dev proposal on changing implicitly calling

Steve Alexander steve at z3u.com
Mon Jul 28 13:51:32 EDT 2003

Chris Withers wrote:
> Steve Alexander wrote:
>
>> In Zope 3, we want to be able to control whether the last component is
>> called or not from configuration, depending on the type of that
>> object, not from individual path expressions.
>

> That's sounds like unnecessary complexity to me...

Why?

We want to keep path expressions simple, and make them do things
determined only by the traversal policy defined for the objects being
traversed.

Even so, the point of this whole thread and the one on zope3-dev is not
to discuss what the Zope 3 policy should or should not be. Rather, it is
that we should be free to choose a calling or not-calling behaviour in a
particular use of the TALES library.

At present, it seems that the current behaviour is hard-coded into the
base TALES library, and is not easy to override. This is wrong.
It should be possible and straightforward to override this.

--
Steve Alexander