[ZPT] zope3-dev proposal on changing implicitly calling

Steve Alexander steve at cat-box.net
Fri Jun 20 15:07:35 EDT 2003

Hi,

I recently made a proposal on the Zope 3 mailing list that may be of
interest to this list. (I am not subscribed to this list.)

   http://mail.zope.org/pipermail/zope3-dev/2003-June/007372.html

The rationale is in the email above, but I'll copy the proposal below.

Proposal:

    I propose the following:

    1: Remove from Zope 3 the TALES behaviour of calling the result of a
       path expression if it has a __call__ attribute.

    2: Deprecating the 'nocall' magic word, as it will no longer be
       needed.

    3: Making the zope 3 default traversal machinery call an object on
       traversal if and only if the following conditions hold:

       a: the object provides no interfaces

       b: the object has a __call__ attribute

       c: on inspection, it appears that the __call__ attribute can be
          called with no arguments

The scope of this proposal is just Zope 3. It need not affect the
stand-alone TALES implementation.
But then again, perhaps it could do if people want that.

--
Steve Alexander