[ZPT] Zope newbie question on accessing DTML Methods from ZPT

Tom P. Allred tom at allreddata.com
Wed May 28 12:31:27 EDT 2003

Hi,

I'm trying to learn Zope 2.6.1 installed on Red Hat 8.  Toward that end I've
read The Zope Book (TZB) online, tried many of the examples, ran the
tutorials, checked out other Zope info sites and started work on a simple
app.  I've been a programmer for 20 years but Python, DTML and Zope are all
new to me.

I was halfway through TZB and happily using DTML Methods and Documents when
I discovered TZB, 2nd Edition.  It seems to promote all presentation through
ZPT and all action through DTML methods and Python scripts with DTML
Documents depreciated.  Since I'm starting from scratch anyway, I want use
current best practices and methods.  Would someone provide feedback on
current standards or point me to a resource?

As to my specific ZPT - DTML Methods question:
I created a test app using the navigation DTML Method (called as
to display subfolder links and titles.  This works fine but when I try to
call the DTML Method from a ZPT version of the same thing that uses macros
I'm not clear on how to call and use the results from the navigation from
within a fill-slot="body" code section.  Could someone point me to a good
resource for accessing DTML Methods from ZPT?

Thanks,
Tom P. Allred, MCSE, RHCE, CCNA
Allred Data Consulting, Inc.
704-633-0311 x826