[ZPT] spacify?

Tino Wildenhain tino at wildenhain.de
Wed Jan 7 03:33:02 EST 2004

Hi Marc,

Marc Lindahl schrieb:

> On Tuesday, January 6, 2004, at 10:30  AM, Fred L. Drake, Jr. wrote:
>

>> Marc Lindahl writes:
>>
>>> aw... you gotta be kidding!  All those nice keywords in DTML weren't
>>> ported to ZPT?  Sheesh, two steps forward, six steps back! :)
>>

>> Given that this is the first request for this feature since we
>> first implemented ZPT nearly three years ago, I'm not convinced this
>> is all that useful to most users.
>

> That's not a good criteria. There's a lot of legacy sites out there, and
> people don't change the code unless it's broken.  I have DTML sites
> running out there, and won't change them to ZPT unless I'm adding new
> stuff or doing a major overhaul....

They can continue to exist in DTML. No need to copy the DTML stuff into
ZPT.

> The design cycle is quick, but once things are deployed, the change
> cycle is slow... backwards compatibility is vital for zope to move
> forward.  If I start upgrading sites and *everything breaks*, I'll have
> to re-evaluate the efficacy if zope itself.

Change cycle should be quick since this is what zope is made for.
Its a rapid developement and incubation platform. And developement
does not end with deployment of the first version of a site.

>> There's been discussion of making it easier to use collections of
>> helper functions by extending the path syntax; perhaps that would be a
>> place to put functions of interest to DTML users.
>

> or modules?

Some richer modules for use with python scripts should be created.
Its not that hard, but harder to decide which way to go is best.

Regards
Tino Wildenhain