[ZPT] DOCTYPES in Page Templates

Alexander Limi limi at plone.org
Mon May 10 22:25:04 EDT 2004

Hi Evan & the ZPT mailing list,

I know this has been discussed in the past, but I haven't found anything
conclusive on the mailing list about it, so I'll make it short:

Will ZPT (most likely METAL) get a mechanism for setting DOCTYPES on a
master template?

Right now, the Plone main_template starts out like this:

<metal:page define-macro="master"><metal:doctype
define-slot="doctype"><!DOCTYPE html PUBLIC "-//W3C//DTD XHTML 1.0
Transitional//EN"
"http://www.w3.org/TR/xhtml1/DTD/xhtml1-transitional.dtd"></metal:doctype>

(notice the total lack of spaces to conform with the spec, which states
that the doctype has to be on the first line, without leading spaces)

This doesn't exactly work wonders for readability, but it's the only way
to ensure that every template in Plone uses the XHTML doctype. It also
makes the template look like a bogus page to any HTML editor.

Is any solution planned for this? The DOCTYPE is a pretty intrinsic part
of any web page, and it would be nice if there was a way to do this in a
cleaner way.

  Alexander Limi    ·     Chief Architect     ·    Plone Solutions

  Development · Training · Support · http://www.plonesolutions.com