[ZPT] ANN: ZPTKit 0.1

Ian Bicking ianb at imagescape.com
Fri Mar 18 15:58:37 EST 2005

I'm happy to release ZPTKit 0.1.  ZPTKit helps make Zope Page
Templates easy and reliable to use with Webware.

Homepage:
   http://imagescape.com/software/ZPTKit/
Download:
   http://imagescape.com/software/ZPTKit/ZPTKit-0.1.tar.gz
Source repository:
   http://svn.webwareforpython.org/ZPTKit/trunk
   webware-discuss at lists.sourceforge.net

Features:

   * Builds on the recently-release Component package; you do not need
     change your servlet inheritance hierarchy to use ZPTKit (to learn
     more about Component: http://wiki.w4py.org/component.html).
   * Adds a straight-forward separatation between model (Python
     Servlets) and view (Page Templates).
   * Templates are compiled, refreshed, and cached as needed.
   * Nested directories so that, for example, client-specific templates
     can selectively override generic templates.
   * Convenient functions to send HTML emails based on a template, with
     a text alternative.
   * Shows Zope-style exceptions which show the context of the template
     when an error occurs.
   * MIT-style license.

Features of ZPT:

   * Language is based on the structure of HTML.
   * Unrendered templates are valid HTML and can be viewed in a
     browser.
   * Macro system gives a high degree of flexibility in your site-wide
     templates.
   * Mature and documented language.
   * Sharing technologies can ease a transition from Zope, or make a
     heterogeneous environment with both Webware and Zope applications
     more manageable.

ZPTKit is the first open source project released by Imaginary
Landscape, and we hope that this will be a first step in releasing
more of our internal code to the community, returning on all of the
great things open source software has provided for our company.