[ZPT] Use-cases for strictinsert=True?

Ian Bicking ianb at colorstudy.com
Tue Sep 20 11:30:29 EDT 2005

Fred Drake wrote:
> Thomas Lotze reported that using the TAL interpreter from Zope 3 with
> strictinsert=True (the default when using it directly) fails
> miserably.  It's entirely possible that this has been a problem for
> some time due to the nature of the failure.
>
> When strictinsert is true, the TAL interpreter attempts to parse the
> text in structure insertions (tal:content="structure ..." and
> tal:replace="structure ...") and further interpret any markup found
> there.  Some time ago we determined that this behavior didn't make any
> sense, but the code didn't need to change because the application
> could just pass strictinsert=False.

I don't use it, but wouldn't strictinsert have been intended to protect
the XML/HTML validity of the source?  That is, shouldn't it parse the
structure, but not special TAL constructs, thus ensuring that using
structure doesn't mess up your XML?

I don't personally use it, though, nor am I likely to.  Unless, I
suppose, I was really generating XML, or was planning on pushing the
output through an XML pipeline -- then it would be quite nice, I
imagine, to catch the bug early.