[ZPT] Re: creating a definition list with tal

Tres Seaver tseaver at palladion.com
Wed Apr 19 16:01:37 EDT 2006

gf wrote:
> On 4/19/06, Andreas Jung <lists at zopyx.com> wrote:
>

>>--On 19. April 2006 08:39:37 -0600 gf <gyromagnetic at gmail.com> wrote:
>>

>>> {url2,summary2,alias2}, ...]
>>>
>>>I would like to create something like the following:
>>><dl>
>>><dd>summary1</dd>
>>><dd>summary2</dd>
>>></dl>
>>>
>>>Below I have listed a couple of the variations of code that I have tried.
>>>
>>>I'd appreciate any help or advice you can give.
>>>
>>>Regards,
>>>gyro
>>>
>>>===
>>>
>>>The following creates repeated definition lists:
>>>
>>>---
>>>
>>><dl tal:define="folder_info get_subfolder_info"
>>>tal:repeat="finfo folder_info">
>>><dt><a tal:attributes="href finfo/url"
>>>       tal:content="finfo/alias">the term</a></dt>
>>><dd tal:content="finfo/summary">the definition</dd>
>>></dl>
>>>
>>Move the ral:repeat *inside* the DT tag.
>>

>>>---
>>>
>>>If I include a 'span' to repeat only the dt and dd tagged elements,
>>>the list is not formatted properly (the 'span' messes up the 'dd'
>>>formatting).
>>
>>In this case tal:omit-tag is your friend...as documented.

Another common practice is to introduce an element in the 'tal'
namespace to group the repeated elements;  such tags are automatically
omitted when rendered.  E.g.:

  <dl>
   <tal:loop tal:repeat="finfo folder_info">
    <dt><a tal:attributes="href finfo/url"
           tal:content="finfo/alias">THE_TERM</a></dt>
    <dd tal:content="finfo/summary"THE_DEFINITION</dd>
   </tal:loop>
  </dl>

This technique has the advantage of not confusing tools which think they
know what the correct content model for '<span>' is (of course, they
need to be willing to ignore elements from unknown namespaces).

Tres.
- --
Tres Seaver          +1 202-558-7113          tseaver at palladion.com