[BlueBream] User Registration and Folder GUI needed

Baiju M baiju.m.mail at gmail.com
Wed Sep 15 23:59:36 EDT 2010

On Thu, Sep 16, 2010 at 7:33 AM, Christopher Lozinski
<lozinski at freerecruiting.com> wrote:
>  One of the great ideas from the Plone world is that each user can self
> register, they then have their own folder, where they can add content,
> to be indexed by the ZCatalogs, and displayed as needed.
>
> I need that whole chunk of software.  Users can register themselves,
> they can then log in and go to their folder, add content, and do the ZMI
> thing of renaming content, deleting it, copying it, cutting it and
> pasting it.

I am afraid, BlueBream can provide functionalities of a full fledged CMS.
But there are some components which be used to build these functionalities
like zope.pluggableauth: http://pypi.python.org/pypi/zope.pluggableauth
You may also look at Part 4 of our tutorial to get started with authentication
related things:
http://bluebream.zope.org/doc/1.0/tutorial4.html
There is a self-registration community package:
http://pypi.python.org/pypi/gocept.registration/0.3.0

> I know the ZMI has been removed from bluebream.  I downloaded
> ice.control.  But it does not have the full folder capabilities.  It
> took me as a developer a while to understand it.  It is really very developer centric.
> What I need is the user interface for end users.  Add Edit and delete content objects.   It
> seems to only have delete and rename.  Not the other functions. So here
> are some tools that might help me.
>
> There is zope.app.undo
>
> There is the zodb browser
>
> There is p01.zmi
>
> There is ztfy.zmi
>
> THere is zope.app.basicskin
>
> There is z3ext.portal, but it looks like the maintainer has taken a full time job in the US.

There is ZAM also:
http://svn.zope.org/zam.demo/

> I think grok may have some of this stuff, I am not sure.
>
> Is there any write up about how to go down this path.  Do I need to go
> to each site, review their limited docs, download and install and test
> each interface. Surely there must be a better way.
>
> I guess when I download BlueBream a whole bunch of decisions have been
> made for me, but someone decided to yank the very useful ZMI.  Makes me
> question the other decisions which have been made.

Actually old ZMI is not removed, it is not enabled by default.
If you want to add it back, include "zope.app.zcmlfiles"
from "etc/site.zcml".

> It would also be great if there were documentation somewhere about the
> major architectural decisions made in designing BlueBream, ZTK and the
> other ZTK based apps.
>
> So what do I use for a basic ZMI?  Really for content management?

BlueBream encourages file-system based development.  So, the
functionalities provided by various ZMIs are limited.  For
real content management, it is better to use a CMS system like z3ext
or develop another on top of BB/ZTK.

It looks like ZAM (http://svn.zope.org - search for 'zam') provides
a plugin architecture.  You may extend it to add new functionalities
to ZMI.

The old ZMI design has some flaw, it register all views to "default" layer.
And it has so many registrations which may not be required for all
developers.

Regards,
Baiju M