[ZF] Dirt-simple voting app

Benji York benji at zope.com
Tue Jun 6 08:53:45 EDT 2006

Jim Fulton wrote:
> Here is a sketch of my dirt-simple voting app:

Sounds good.

> If the vote command is invoked with an issue id but no arguments,
> then the current results are printed.

I would suggest not making the in-progress results available until
voting is closed.  Knowing the current standings can change the outcome
(some people decide not to vote; some people try to drum up support for
their favored, but loosing proposal).

> Comments/suggestions are welcome, but likely to be ignored
> if following them would make significantly more work for
> me. :)

I don't think this'll be too much more work, but for this type of
process, I'd like to see an "approval" voting system in place
(http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Approval_voting).  Basically, people can
vote for as many of the options as they approve of, and the option with
the highest vote count wins.  Approval voting has several advantages,
especially in a process with several minorities (projects).
--
Benji York
Senior Software Engineer