[ZF] Dirt-simple voting app

Jim Fulton jim at zope.com
Tue Jun 6 09:01:43 EDT 2006

On Jun 6, 2006, at 8:53 AM, Benji York wrote:

> Jim Fulton wrote:
>> Here is a sketch of my dirt-simple voting app:
>
> Sounds good.
>
>> If the vote command is invoked with an issue id but no arguments,
>> then the current results are printed.
>
> I would suggest not making the in-progress results available until
> voting is closed.  Knowing the current standings can change the
> outcome (some people decide not to vote; some people try to drum up
> support for their favored, but loosing proposal).

Agreed. The same thing occured to me after sending my note.

>> Comments/suggestions are welcome, but likely to be ignored
>> if following them would make significantly more work for
>> me. :)
>
> I don't think this'll be too much more work, but for this type of
> process, I'd like to see an "approval" voting system in place
> (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Approval_voting).  Basically, people
> can vote for as many of the options as they approve of, and the
> option with the highest vote count wins.  Approval voting has
> several advantages, especially in a process with several minorities
> (projects).

Agreed. Unfortunately, we are bound by the bylaws:

   http://www.zope.org/DevHome/Foundation/ZopeFoundationByLaws.pdf

which specify an insanely complex "Single Transferable Vote" process.
I'm still scratching my head trying to figure out what this means. :(

I suggest that you or someone propose a simpler voting process and that
one of the first actions of the first board should be to adopt a
simpler process.

Jim

CTO 				(540) 361-1714			http://www.python.org