[ZF] Official Packages / ZSCP / Development process

Chris Withers chris at simplistix.co.uk
Thu Aug 9 03:35:31 EDT 2007

Tres Seaver wrote:
>> If yes, I'll just shut up and wait what happens. The goals are not
>> directly my goals and it still seems overdesigned to me and I'd be
>> afraid to loose huge amounts of time with this.

Sadly, this is the reason why I stopped actively trying to follow the
foundation work...

>> If not, I'd wonder when we can start working on the development process
>> issues (in a lightweight way).
>
> I believe that the process as documented in the ZCSP is too heavy:

...as most legal docs and processes seem to have been as long as I can
remember with Zope. It seems the rough process is:

- look at what the community is doing or what it says it wants to do
- wrap it up in ultra-heavy legalese and processes
- watch in confusion while no-one follows the process

I remember with the fish bowl, zope.org maintenence and then the whole
foundation process, it seems things haven't changed :-(

> it
> ignores the way that things normally get accomplished in an open source
> community, i.e. via somebody "scratching his own itch" first.  The
> process tries to impose controls which will deflate such efforts.

Yep.

> The model of "rough consensus and running code" used by the IETF[2] is
> far more to my taste than a more rigid process.  I personally wouldn't
> bother to contribute further if I had to jump through such hoops.

Yep.

cheers,

Chris

            - http://www.simplistix.co.uk