[ZF] Proposal: Launchpad code hosting for ZF projects; free commercial support for migration

Marius Gedminas marius at pov.lt
Fri Feb 27 11:01:20 EST 2009

On Fri, Feb 27, 2009 at 10:21:10AM -0500, Gary Poster wrote:
> Launchpad would really like to provide code hosting for the Zope
> Foundation.

Are there Bazaar branches mirroring the current Zope subversion
repository projects that we could play with?

I just tried to 'bzr co lp:zope.testing', and am happy to see that

  * there's an up-to-date Bazaar mirror of zope.testing
  * the URL is much shorter (lp:zope.testing versus
    svn+ssh://svn.zope.org/repos/main/zope.testing)
  * the checkout is smaller than svn (2.4 megs instead of 4 megs), and
    it contains the whole history
  * bzr log finishes in 0.4 seconds, while svn log needs 3.9 seconds
    (because the history is local)

One possible downside is that the initial "checkout" takes 20 seconds
instead of 12 that I need with svn.  But 20 seconds is not much.  It
would be more interesting to see which of the Zope 3 packages is the
largest one.

Subsequent updates are also a bit slower: 4.1s for 'bzr update' and 3.3s
for 'svn update'.

By the way, Chris: for 99% of use cases you can substitute 'bzr' instead
of 'svn' and that's all you need to learn. 'checkout', 'update', 'log',
'status', 'add', 'remove', 'commit' work the same way as in Subversion,
except that you also get a full copy of the whole history on your local
machine, and that often takes less space than Subversion's pristine copy
of the working tree.  There are some differences, e.g. you use 'bzr
ignore "*.pyc"' and/or edit .bzrignore instead of fighting with 'svn
propget/propset/propedit svn:ignore'.

But Chris raised very good questions about Windows support: how ready is
TortoiseBzr to replace TortoiseSvn?  Does Bazaar support line ending
conversions yet?

My personal blocker for bzr adoption is this one:
https://bugs.launchpad.net/bzr/+bug/98836

Unfortunately it looks as if nobody paid any attention to it since 2007
:(

Marius Gedminas
--
"question = (to) ? be : !be;" -- Shakespeare