[ZF] Proposal: Launchpad code hosting for ZF projects; free commercial support for migration

Gary Poster gary at modernsongs.com
Sat Feb 28 11:27:47 EST 2009

Another one from Kiko, the Project Manager for Launchpad and Bzr.

On Fri, Feb 27, 2009 at 03:28:52PM -0500, Tres Seaver wrote:
 > > arguments, we'd still be using CVS and the CMF Collector today.
Change
 > > isn't good or bad in itself, we just need to evaluate what we want
 > > from it.
 >
 > I haven't found the swtich the bug tracking at launchpad to be an
 > unmixed blessing, actually.

Well, every change does imply somebody getting annoyed <wink> -- but
perhaps this is something that we should work with you to figure out how
to improve the bug tracker for you. Launchpad's bug tracker has a long
and complicated (interesting?) history, but we have kept pushing hard to
improve it and the July release will include changes that make it
significantly better for everybody; the page at

     https://dev.launchpad.net/VersionThreeDotO/Bugs

contains our current priority list for the bug tracker. In the past I've
approached different projects to request feedback from them into our
priorities, but I've not had a name or phone number to call in the Zope
community and we could change that now -- Karl and I actively talk to
our users and we really want to make sure that the app not just works
for you, but that it's incredibly good for you.

 > The slightly blurred bit until almost this very moment has been
that we
 > hadn't actually done the copyright transfer:  as of today, the
agreement
 > is done, with only the exchange of executed documents as the final
step.
 >  At that point, the ZF will be solely responsible, and should indeed
 > look at alternatives for hosting:  I'm just against the idea of
*turning
 > over* the hosting to another entity whose interests don't necessarily
 > aligh with the foundation's.

Oh, it's interesting that you are also figuring out a workflow for
copyright assignment. So because Canonical is doing something very
similar, and because we believe that in general consistent copyright is
a good thing, we're going to working on a feature to manage signed
agreements in Launchpad, tying that into the code hosting system. So if
somebody pushes code up and requests a review, and that person hasn't
signed the agreement, you'd get a warning displayed when reviewing and
merging.  Curtis H. on our team is handling the first part of that; Tim
P. the actual code hosting integration. This should happen sometime
after our July release but Mark keeps reminding me of how urgent it is..
--
Christian Robottom Reis | [+55 16] 3376 0125 | http://launchpad.net/~kiko
                         | [+55 16] 9112 6430 | http://async.com.br/
~kiko