[ZF] Why is non-profit status important?

Jim Fulton jim at zope.com
Fri Feb 10 15:21:58 UTC 2012

On Fri, Feb 10, 2012 at 9:14 AM, Jim Fulton <jim at zope.com> wrote:
> Aroldo's note prompts me to ask:
> Why is non-profit status so important?
>
> Do we think the amount of contributions would be substantially
> different if the Foundation was non-profit? I'm skeptical.
>
> Given that the board members are all busy, pursuing non-profit
> status seems like a waste of time.

Note:

- Rob Page pointed out to me in person that without non-profit
  status, any Foundation Income in excess of expenses is taxed.
  I don't know if this is an issue, but I still doubt it's worth worrying
  about.

- I didn't read Aroldo's note carefully before posting my note.
  He seems to claim that somehow non-profit status
  makes the Foundation more official or real.  The Foundation *is*
  an incorporated entity that is independent of ZC, whether or
  not it is non-profit.  I assume it has the documentation that
  Aroldo would need to substantiate this.

Jim

--
Jim Fulton