[ZF] A couple of github issues

Jim Fulton jim at zope.com
Fri Feb 1 11:27:44 UTC 2013

On Fri, Feb 1, 2013 at 2:18 AM, Marius Gedminas <marius at pov.lt> wrote:
> On Thu, Jan 31, 2013 at 06:14:44PM -0500, Jim Fulton wrote:
>> There are a couple of issues we need to address:
>>
>> 1. In github, developers can't create repos.
>>    There are a number of ways to mitigate this.  I'll throw some out
>>    for discussion:
>>
>>    - use bitbucket which has saner permissions
>
> -1
>
> We had a vote and the majority expressed their wish to use Github.

A) The choices in the vote were between svn, github and self-hosted git.

B) I don't think many people were aware of this issue. I know I wasn't.

>>    - convert the svn repos in mass. This doesn't address new projects,
>>      but we have a lot of conversions ahead of us.
>
> +0.9
>
> This sounds like a lot of work, so it's not a quick solution.  Unless we
> just create empty repos for existing projects and let people who care
> do the conversion and push?  Eh, I'm not a fan of decoys, so -0 to this
> particular idea.

Also, there's a lot of cruft in svn that we don't want to carry forward.

> There was also the other suggestion by Stephan:
>
>>    - Another option would be to make everyone an admin. Yes, I know
>>      that means that anyone can add new contributors to the
>>      organization but that is still better than the status quo.
>
> +1
>
> https://help.github.com/articles/what-are-the-different-access-permissions
> says that admins "cannot add or remove users from the repositories they
> admin", but they can "add and remove users from the admin team".  If I
> understand that correctly, that means admins can't add new contributors,
> but they can make non-admin contributors into other admins?

I'm skeptical, but I'd love to see someone work this out. So far no one has.

Volunteers? This is a real problem that we need to solve.

I'd much rather sort this out in github than leave, mainly due to travis-ci.

Jim

--
Jim Fulton
http://www.linkedin.com/in/jimfulton