[Fredericksburg-ZPUG] ZPUG + O'Reilly and Apress: review copies, discounts

Gary Poster gary at zope.com
Wed Aug 24 16:06:11 EDT 2005

The Fredericksburg ZPUG is now a member of both the Apress and
O'Reilly user group programs.  This gives us a few advantages.

First, if you are interested in reviewing an O'Reilly or Apress book
for a ZPUG meeting, contact me: we can get free review copies.  I'll
forward the requests if the book you want to review deals with Zope,
Python, web technologies, or pertinent programming best practices/
testing/paradigms/algorithms, etc.  The publishers ask that you also
post a written copy of your review somewhere on the web, such as
Amazon or Slashdot or zope.org.  You'll need to let me know about the
web location so I can tell the publisher and they can continue to be
interested in us.  The books will be kept in a shared ZPUG library
after the review, presuming the publisher allows us to keep them.

Second, we can get discounts off books from these publishers when you
purchase them through their websites--25 or 30% off.  The discounts
actually seem worthwhile--better than Amazon prices for what I looked
at.  Here are the two pertinent blurbs:

O'Reilly:

Your group members are entitled to a 30% discount on O'Reilly,
No Starch, Paraglyph, Pragmatic Bookshelf, SitePoint, or Syngress books
purchased directly from O'Reilly. The discount code your members should
use is DSUG. They may place an order online at www.oreilly.com or by
calling 800-998-9938. Your members are also entitled to a discount
on O'Reilly conferences and tutorials.

Apress

25% off regular Apress and friends of ED titles. To obtain the User
Group discount:
A.) Place your order with 1-800-SPRINGER or sales at apress.com and make
sure to mention the promotion code, "APRESSUG."
B.) When placing the order, be sure to mention the NAME of the user
group.

I'm also trying for Addison Wesley: they've contacted me back but
there's no final word yet.

Gary