[Grok-dev] Re: Permissions-tutorial in SVN

Wichert Akkerman wichert at wiggy.net
Thu Aug 23 06:52:23 EDT 2007

Previously Jan-Wijbrand Kolman wrote:
> Wichert Akkerman wrote:
> >Previously Jan-Wijbrand Kolman wrote:
> >>I'm currently updating it to reflect the changes on the trunk (as this
> >>file only exists on the trunk anyway). It contains a short note for
> >>pre-trunk users.
> >
> >I wonder if we should set a policy for this. Personally I would prefer
> >that documentation, especially documentation appearing on the website,
> >documents the last release instead of as-yet-unreleased code.
>
> Well, then the documentation on the website should not be generated from
> the trunk, but from the released version I'd say. We could even generate
> a second set of documentation pages on the website explicitely for the
> trunk of grok.
>
> If there's a strong wish (and I can certainly see that use case!) to
> include the "older" permissions tutorial on the website, I guess we
> could create an 0.10 *branch* or something, where documentation relevant
> for that release is evolving?

+1 for documentation branches. Each branch can have a separate place on
the website so you can always look at documentation for previous
releases. This is very valuable.

> Another thought that just popped up: You could argue documentation
> should follow the same pattern as formal deprecations (but we're not yet
> doing formal deprecations).

I'm not sure if we have the manpower for that. At the moment my main
worry is that documentation is updated for upcoming releases and thereby
removing documentation for the current release.

Wichert.