[Grok-dev] Re: Help installing grok2html

Luciano Ramalho luciano at ramalho.org
Wed Jul 18 16:53:40 EDT 2007

On 7/18/07, Philipp von Weitershausen <philipp at weitershausen.de> wrote:
> Note that it is generally recommended to stay away from the system's
> Python on some platforms. This definitely includes Mac OS X, but it
> seems that Ubuntu can go on this list as well. Not because of this
> particular problem, it is clearly your fault ;) (see below), but because
> of other tricky issues.

I did try to use a compiled python, but ez_setup.py complained about
the lack of zlib. Then I tried to fix this, but gave up after a few
attempts when I realized that perhaps grok should run on such a
python-friendly distro as Ubuntu. I did take care to install the
proper version of Python. If grok won't run on the python2.4 packaged
for Ubuntu or Debian (I also tried that), then I fear it will not be
very popular.

> Well, sorry mate, but you're not going to get far by being ignorant.
> We've been using buildout for grok since the beginning. It's not like
> this is news or anything.

Thanks for the wisdom. I am a fairly knowledgeable web developer who
has never done core Zope development, and therefore have had no
previous contact with buildout. That is a perspective that I thought
could be valuable to the grok project. Obviously I have delayed too
much learning about buildouts. I'll work on that.

> Why are you doing this? After a checkout of grok, you simply bootstrap
> the buildout and then run bin/buildout. This is documented in INSTALL.txt!

I apologize for not reading that before. The source of the confusion
is the two different setup methods (grokproject and the buildout you
just described). Also, I did not really want to install grok again,
since grokproject had already done that for me. I just wanted to setup
the doc generation script, so I assumed running setup.py would be the
thing to do.

> You will then get a bin/grok2html script. No need to mess around by
> calling setup.py yourself.

OK, thanks for the help.

--
Luciano