[Grok-dev] Re: Help installing grok2html

Philipp von Weitershausen philipp at weitershausen.de
Wed Jul 18 16:59:15 EDT 2007

On 18 Jul 2007, at 22:53 , Luciano Ramalho wrote:
> On 7/18/07, Philipp von Weitershausen <philipp at weitershausen.de>
> wrote:
>> Note that it is generally recommended to stay away from the system's
>> Python on some platforms. This definitely includes Mac OS X, but it
>> seems that Ubuntu can go on this list as well. Not because of this
>> particular problem, it is clearly your fault ;) (see below), but
>> because
>> of other tricky issues.
>
> I did try to use a compiled python, but ez_setup.py complained about
> the lack of zlib.

When self-compiling Python, you need the zlib headers to be
installed. On Debian/Ubuntu, this probably means installing zlib-
devel or whatever. To be absolutely safe that Python copiles with
zlib, use ./configure --with-zlib.

> Then I tried to fix this, but gave up after a few
> attempts when I realized that perhaps grok should run on such a
> python-friendly distro as Ubuntu. I did take care to install the
> proper version of Python. If grok won't run on the python2.4 packaged
> for Ubuntu or Debian (I also tried that), then I fear it will not be
> very popular.

Right, it *should*. That doesn't mean it's recommended.

>> Why are you doing this? After a checkout of grok, you simply
>> bootstrap
>> the buildout and then run bin/buildout. This is documented in
>> INSTALL.txt!
>
> I apologize for not reading that before. The source of the confusion
> is the two different setup methods (grokproject and the buildout you
> just described).

Well, grokproject is for *using* grok to build an application. Then
there's *developing* grok itself which is an entirely different
thing. Sometimes I just wonder why we even bother adding INSTALL.txt
docs...